Family School Liaison Worker
for St. Martin’s Catholic School, Vegreville
A. Position Summary
The Family School Liaison Worker is available to assist students with a wide range of emotional/behavioural challenges in order to promote the facilitation of academic needs. As a member of our Student Services Team, the FSL Worker provides direct interventions and also facilitates referrals and coordinates access to services that allow students to participate fully in education programs, attain their potential and be a successful student.
B. Key Responsibilities
· Receive and screen referrals to identify student’s needs. This includes assessing student and family needs along with developing and implementing service plans to meet identified needs through mutually established goals based on input from school staff and families.
· Provide short term intervention to students and families who request help with emotional, behavioural and academic issues, including problem solving, coping and crisis management skills for students and families.
· Triage students and provide support to students experiencing crisis, conflict, interpersonal relationship issues, and risk assessments for suicidal/homicidal behaviours.
· Consult and collaborate with school administration, teachers, support staff and our Students Services Team.
· Assist in developing, leading and/or supporting the school’s critical response plan as a member of the school’s Critical Incident Response Team. Functions include planning/defusing/debriefings and follow ups.
· Research and provide resources and materials that are relevant to the needs of students, families, teachers, and professionals.
· Participate in student and family centered multidisciplinary case conferences.
· Provide input on student IPPs where appropriate
· Provide strategies and resources to teachers, bus drivers, educational assistants and other school personnel regarding students and families.
· Provide relevant professional development opportunities to school staff based on need and expertise.
· Advocate on behalf of the students.
· Provide educational opportunities and resources for schools.
· May participate as representatives on student government, community coalitions, committees and initiatives that are supported by administration.
C. Administrative Responsibilities
· Document and maintain records of all activities, including assessments, interviews, contact notes, referrals and other events or actions pertinent to each case; maintains statistical data of clients served and initiatives undertaken.
· Actively participate in team/staff meetings/professional development.
· Assist in the development and evaluation of local processes for screening and intakes/assessment and referrals to other agencies.
· Support the school’s application for grants/funding to support students under the behavioral/emotional/social/cultural domains.
- Direct supervision will be the responsibility of the school principal directly or as delegated to other qualified school staff (ie. assistant principal, facilitator)
· Degree or Diploma in social work, psychology or other related field.
· Valid Alberta Driver’s license and vehicle for travel
· Training and Experience working with Children and Youth
- Hourly wage to be determined based on education and experience of successful candidate
G. Term- This position is a 10 month contract (Sept - June) with the opportunity for renewal each school year based on school needs as identified by school leadership.
Applicants may submit resumes may be submitted to Joe Dumont @ St. Martin's School. Posting closes on Wednesday June 17 at 4:00 p.m.